Sunday, April 5, 2015

With Spring Comes......

.....babies.  Not kittens but baby raccoons.

About 4 or 5 weeks ago I noticed Ollie was no longer using the big sleeping shelter.  It didn't take me long to figure out a raccoon had probably moved in.  Thankfully I have more sleeping shelters than cats these days.  Ollie had moved into the shelter that Spirit used for years and Spirit moved into the renovated shelter I fixed for Doodle, so everyone has a warm spot to sleep.

I think the raccoon has had her babies because she is now coming out during daylight hours looking for food.  As much as I would love to feed her to help her out I think it's better if she forages for her own food.


Today when I returned to feed Spirit and Ollie their dinner the mom raccoon came out too.  I carry a spray bottle with water which is perfect for keeping the raccoon away while the kitties eat their fill.  Once the cats are done I remove all remaining food.


When the time comes for mom raccoon to wean her babies she will bring them all out and then trying to keep them away from the cat food will be a real challenge.



No comments:

Post a Comment