Friday, May 22, 2015

Baby Robin

Every spring a pair of robins nest close by the East Side Gang.  And every spring I worry that the babies will survive when the cats are so close.


A couple of days ago as I was walking the path back to the feeding area for Ollie and Spirit I notice an adult robin on the path.  Then I realized that a baby robin must be close.  Sure enough I saw a young robin learning to fly. Actually this little bird knows how to fly but he is still spending a lot of time close to the ground.  


Yesterday I saw mom and dad robin so I knew baby was around.  I was happy this little guy was ok.  While I was sitting with the kitties during their meal I heard chirping. I looked up to see both parents a few feet away which meant baby was there too.  This was just a little too close to the kitties.  I moved towards the birds and the parents flew in opposite directions but not too far.  There on the path sat baby robin.  I knew where Ollie was but Spirit had wandered off and I had no idea where he was.  Thankfully baby robin flew up into the trees away from the cats area.

When I was leaving the cats one of the adult robins flew by with a worm or bug in its beak.  I stopped to watch.  The parent sat on a low branch looking around.  I backed off a little and then saw the parent fly down into the tall grass below to feed baby.  

Today I didn't see or hear the robins when I arrived but as I was leaving the area after feeding Spirit and Ollie I saw the parents and the baby.  

I love watching the happy side of nature.  

1 comment:

  1. It's always a worry with cats and birds. Lucky you to have a little robin family to enjoy. No babies here yet.

    ReplyDelete