Sunday, January 4, 2015

Too many raccoons

It was pouring rain this morning when I left home to drive down to feed my feral kitties and I got quite wet but making sure the kitties have food is more important than being dry.

My beautiful, dainty Ollie came out and she was wet!  The sleeping shelters are dry but she came from the space behind the feeding shelters.  She has used this spot before but on a rainy day like today, it made me wonder why she was there and not inside the warmer, dry sleeping shelter.

Overhead I heard a noise and looked up to see a raccoon making his way down the tree.  Yikes!  Well that meant I wasn't able to leave breakfast for the kitties and I had a commitment to get to.  I packed up all the food and left.  I returned a couple hours later so that everyone could finish breakfast.

After everyone was fed, I pulled the feeding shelters apart to look at the small space behind that Ollie had been using.  It was wet.  After adding some dry straw for bedding I spread a tarp over the shelters along with the little space that Ollie was tucking herself into.  Now if she feels the to need to go in there she'll be dry and out of the wind.

As I was packing up to leave a raccoon came out of the sleeping shelter.  Arghhhhhhhhh.


A few minutes later two more raccoons came out of the shelters!  They wandered around looking for food and finding none they climbed a tree to the roof of a shed.  I was glad they didn't go back into the sleeping shelter.

Later as the sun was setting I returned to feed the kitties their dinner.  They all ate and returned to their individual sleeping shelters.  Just as I was about to leave the raccoon returned looking for food, but I had packed up all the leftovers.

I don't usually see the raccoons at this time of year during daylight hours but they certainly made themselves visible today.

No comments:

Post a Comment