Monday, July 30, 2012

I miss you already Valentine

In yesterday's post I told you about Valentine going back to the vet on Friday.   I spoke with the vet last night and the prognosis was not good.  They found a mass in her abdomin and while they cannot say for certain it is cancer, her care was now palliative.  This once plump kitty was down to barely 5 lbs.

View IMG_4572.JPG in slide show

This morning it took me hours to get up the courage to phone the vet to make an appointment for my last visit with my sweet Valentine.  My husband told me he did not want me to go alone, something about driving with tears in my eyes.

At 6:19 p.m. I kissed the top of sweet Valentine's head has she went over the Rainbow Bridge.  In the minutes leading up to her departure I got to do something I've never been able to do in the past, I was able to cradle her in my arms.  I held her and kissed her and talked to her and stroked her and scratched behind her ears.  I have been able to pet her and kiss her head for a long time but holding her was very special.

I miss you already, sweet Valentine.

4 comments:

  1. At 6:19pm I welcomed sweet valentine to rainbow bridge I kissed her wee head, her wee paws and we walked paw in paw to the rainbow bridge and we are now in the meadow. The love she felt when you held her and kissed and talked to her, she will never forget.

    We love valentine and all of you. You are our goodest bestest friends

    Hug hug hug and more hugs and know Valentine will be surrounded in love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very sorry for your loss. I know she loves you still and is watching over you from the bridge.

    RIP sweet Valentine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Connie, I am so sorry, I know how attached you were to her. Valentine was so lucky to have you caring for her all those years. Thanks to you, her life was so much longer and better than it would have been, I hope you will let that knowledge comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so hard to part with such good friends. I'm glad you got to hold her in your arms after so many years of caring for her so deeply. And I'm glad you have Mike alongside you.

    You inspire me, Connie.

    ReplyDelete