Friday, July 13, 2012

My Sweet Valentine - Part 2

Valentine spent last weekend at the vet's office getting IV fluids. I really hadn't expected she would be staying for any length of time however she was really dehydrated and it turns out she is really anemic too. Blood tests ruled out FIV (yay!), FIP (yay!) and she is not hyperthyroid (yay!). In fact after my chat Sunday with the vet, they are not sure what the problem is, however it is possible that because she was a walking flea factory this could be the cause of the anemia. She has been given a flea treatment as well as an antibiotic shot.

Valentine May 2012

What I found interesting about Valentine is that during her entire stay she has been very easy to handle. The vets and staff have not had any problem examining her and she appears to be quite relaxed. For a feral, I think that's pretty good. I can pet Valentine, I groom her and I love to plant kisses on the top of her sweet head, but I didn't think she would be so good for others.

I picked Valentine up from the vet's office late Monday afternoon and returned her to her colony. She was very quiet in the carrier until we got out of the car. She recognized the smell of her home and wanted out - NOW.

By Wednesday I was getting concerned about her. She was eating so little at each feeding and I didn't see her drink anything either. I was going twice a day because I wanted to get as much food into her as possible. I was afraid she was going to become dehydrated again because it has been quite hot and getting hotter.

I made arrangements with a friend who is going to care for Valentine while she gains strength. She will be away from her colony but she can be monitored more closely and if necessary can be taken back to the vet.

This morning I was able to catch Valentine quite easily and she hardly put up any kind of a fuss when I picked her up and eased her into the up ended carrier - a sign that she just doesn't have the strength to fight. I'm not sure how long she will be in recovery but we are going to take good care of her and hope she returns to her colony before too long.

I love my sweet Valentine and want to do whatever I can to help her.

7 comments:

  1. I have to go back and read part 1. Poor sweet Valentine. Are you sure she's feral and not just a dump in the colony?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valentine has been in the colony since I began care back in late 2002. I could not get near her back then but over time she and the other kitties have come to accept me. Of my 9 remaining ferals I can pet/groom/kiss four of them. I can get very close to the others but they hop away if I touch them.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad that you did catch valentine and even if away from colony she will be well cared for. You is doing all you can and more for sweet valentine she knows she loved and cared for sweet lil kitteh. All out paws crossed for sweet valentine hug hug hug and more hugs

    Your goodest bestest friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just relieved I was able to catch her without any fuss. The other kitties all scattered when I was putting Valentine in the carrier but they came back to finish their brekky.

      Delete
  3. We are all sending purrs to Valentine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do such amazing working with ferals. You love them, and they seem to love you back in their own way. I'll purr for her and hope she'll be okay after lots of rest. She looks like such a sweetie too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hopes valentine will get stronger. Dis heat has made owr ferals not eat or drink much as well. I glad valentine has you and yur fwend to watch over her.

    ReplyDelete